Q&A: A Nigerian mechanical student talks aspirations
* My mission is to encourage students’ participation in unionism in Niger State
* To take NANS/JCC to the highest level by a way of taking a “tour” of students from one campus to the other, time to time, also known as “OPERATION KNOW OUR CAMPUSES”
Que. 1.What is your inspiring point for you to participate in the election?
What inspire me to participate in NANS/JCC, Niger State axis election I have passion to lead, anywhere I found myself I like causing positive change that will lead to development of the society.
I felt that, this time to contribute my own quota to the development to Nigerian students.
Que. 2. What are the benefits of Unionism?
Benefits of unionism:
Before I state the benefit of unionism, let me clearly defined the word “Unionism”.
Unionism is the coming together of people with like mind to achieve a single aim and objectives by acting as a unit.
These are some of the benefit of unionism
· It enables you to know you right.
· Fighting for single goals and objectives in an organization or workplace.
· To stand against injustice in our society.
· As a pressure group to persuade other group to act in like mind.
Que. 3. What are the difficulties facing students unionism in the State
Challenges facing JCC/NANs in Niger State is very elaborate
· Finance: In the recent time, the association lacks found to carry out her activities simply because there is no structure of collecting dues from various campuses in other to carry out our programmes.
· Division of interest: There is also problem of interest amongst our colleague in struggles, example: in the area of election, students sees to support money politics.
· Inadequate information and publicity: The association lack adequate information to the various institutions of learning and lack of information will always cause big gap between campuses.
Que. 4. What do you think are the solutions?
· In the aspect of finance, I shall ensure that I will collaborate with NGOs, State Government, School management that will sponsor our programmes.
· I shall organize a programme that will orientate students on the advance effect of money politics, sentiment, tribal and religion politics which will stabilize the issue of division of interest.
· I will make sure that I will produce weekly or monthly bulletin as source of information to student, launch website for the association, magazine, TV and radio programme where student can channel their challenges that affect their campuses through SMS and the bulletin magazine will be of revenue for the association after sells.
Que. 5. Is there any relationship between Unionism and politics outside the campus?
The relationships between both of them are; particularly similar, but the outside politics is very complicated.
Que. 6. What are your plans for the future?
I want to be one of the future leaders that will fight against corruption and to contribute my own quota in national development, to establish an NGOs that will centered on orientating the youth on skills acquisition for self reliance that will limit unemployment rate in our nation and others massive plans that are still coming up.
Que. 7. How do you intend to ensure that students are carried along?
There is no leader without followers and there is no follower without a leader. What make a great leader, I think is his follower and also a good leader must listen to his followers, I think my follower are the greatest asset of my administration, all the student, and those my executive that will work with if I win, we all carryout the respective duties of office.
Que. 8. What would you want to be remembered for?
· I will like to be remembered for a lot of things, but I think by time we leave office, we will like to be remembered by our service to humanity and to bring sanity to NANS/JCC by then our record will speak for us.
Que. 9. Who are your role models?
As a young man growing up, I will like to emulate some great people, who are serve humanity people like Abraham Lincoln, John F. Kennedy, Nelson Mandella, Bill Clinton, Gen. Murtala. R. Mohammed, Martin Luther King Jr. and Olusegun Obasanjo.
Que. 10. Student leaders have being accused of being self centeredness, like what is obtainable outside campuses. What is your talk on this?
Student leaders are not self centered, students contribution towards the growth of our nation cannot be over emphasize, students leader are the only activist who will fight for their fellow student right, Later he/she will be expelled or suspended because he is kicking against oppression from the school management, so I will defend the Nigerian students unionism anywhere.